Saturday, January 27, 2007

Jambo from Toronto!

Wow, my first time into the big city of Toronto and it has flown by! I arrived here on Sunday night after a pretty uneventful flight and cabbed to Jane's house in Leaside, close to downtown. It has been so nice to stay in a nice big house rather than in a cramped hostel room or cramped apartment- I figure I might as well get to soak up one last week of luxury before the "roughing it" begins!

Training and orientation at YCI was exhausting and intense but super useful and reassuring. I am going to be spending 3 months with some amazing women (yes, it's ALL girls!) and it's nice to know that we're all in the same boat as far as questions, concerns, and interests go. We've all been struggling with the same questions and responses from people about "going to Africa" and now we have a better idea of what to expect in terms of the culture, the projects, and the conditions.

We also had 2 days of training with Kelly from the Intercultural Learning Centre where we covered culture shock, re-integration, and development. It was very interactive and I think we've all come to know that returning home might be the hardest part about this whole adventure! It was a flashback to my days of Intercultural Education and Training at UVic but it was a great refresher. The group dynamic has developed really well between all the girls and I am so looking forward to finding out our placements once we arrive in Dar!

Toronto has been a great stepping stone into this project and I've come out of this week with a renewed perspective on the project and a lot more excitement and some new goals. I think our training and orientation (including Swahili lessons!) in Dar will only be better. And then finally (finally!) I'll be off to either Morogoro or Zanzibar.

Next stop, Dar es Salaam!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home